Thursday, May 19, 2005

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream



I made the buttercream that will go on the outside of Amina's cake yesterday. (The recipe is from the Cake Bible.) I made two batches, and the first one was definitely runnier than the second. It must be because the white chocolate did not cool down enough. I hope that upon refrigeration, it will acquire the desired consistency, otherwise I may have to whip up another batch (Oh, no!) I froze everything, so I will not know until the last few days. I also made another batch of Rose's raspberry sauce. (The fancy name for it is raspberry caulis.) My freezer is almost chock full now with cake, buttercream and raspberry sauce. I have yet to make 2 14" layers of cake and another batch of neoclassic buttercream, and yes, let us not forget the syrup to sprinkle on layers, too.

24 oz white chocolate
32 oz cream cheese, softened
2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice

Cut the chocolate into tiny pieces. (She said to break it into squares, but I was afraid to leave it at that, and now I have a blister on my index finger knuckle.) Place it in a bowl set over a pot of hot water (no hotter than 160F!) on low heat. Melt the chocolate stirring continuously. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, preferably with a flat beater until smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the cooled chocolate until smoothly incorporated. Beat in the butter and lemon juice. If lumping occurs (and you can count on it), sieve the whole buttercream using a fine strainer. The buttercream becomes spongy on standing. Rebeat to restore smooth creamy texture. This buttercream will store 2 weeks refrigerated, and 2 months frozen.