Friday, June 03, 2005

Pistachio Marzipan Triangles



I discovered a bag of shelled pistachios in my refrigerator the other day and made my own pistachio paste following this recipe from the Accidental Hedonist. The result had the consistency of marzipan, so I will call it pistachio marzipan. I used more than half of it as a filling in these phyllo triangles which got the approval of the men in my house. I am planning to make more pistachio marzipan to freeze. I can think of so many delicious ways to use it!

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
24 sheets of phyllo pastry
24 1/2-inch pistachio marzipan cubes
1 cup sugar
1.5 c water
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Brush one sheet of phyllo with melted butter. (Keep the other sheets covered so that they do not dry out.) Fold it lengthwise into thirds. Brush again with melted butter. Place a cube of pistachio marzipan at one end of the strip you thus obtain. Fold one corner over the filling to form a triangle. Continue folding until the end of the strip like you do when you make muska boregi. Repeat with the other sheets. Place all triangles in an oven tray. Brush the tops with melted butter. Bake in preheated 350F oven until nicely browned. Cool the triangles.

Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Mix the sugar and water in a saucepan. Cook, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves. Bring to aboil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice, simmer for another 5 minutes. Pour the hot syrup on the cooled triangles. Cool and serve with more ground pistachios.

(The quantities above are somewhat approximate as I did not measure the ingredients while I made the triangles.)


Cut triangle with Pistachio Marzipan