Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Tart Cranberry Tart


I had cranberries in my refrigerator that were begging to be used, so I made this tart. The original recipe was from The Art of the Tart by Tamasin Day-Lewis, but I made several changes to it (which I now wish I had not). It turned out to be a little too tart for my taste. Maybe if I mixed half of the cranberry filling with the cheese layer, and did not omit the lattice crust on top, it would have been less so. Or if I used less of the cranberries... Oh, well...

Here is an outline of the recipe as I made it. For the crust, I used my favorite crust recipe, replacing half the flour with finely ground nuts. I refrigerated the crust for about half an hour before proceeding with the rest of the recipe. The filling was a package of cream cheese mixed with 1/4 c sugar, 1 egg and some orange zest. For the topping, I cooked 3 1/2 c cranberries with orange juice to cover and added 3/4 c sugar at the end. I baked the tart at 375F for about half an hour.

Maybe it will taste acceptable with ice cream ?